In the early 19th Century sea bathing became fashionable for its supposed health giving properties. By the 1840s there were two bathing establishments at Dover, situated between Waterloo Crescent and Marine Parade on the Seafront. Here patrons could bathe in baths filled with hot or cold sea water.For the more adventurous souls there was always the sea itself. Bathing machines were used by Victorian ladies to preserve their modesty, even though they went into the sea in voluminous bathing costumes. The bathing machines were little huts on wheels. The lady changed into her bathing costume in the hut, which was then wheeled down into the sea, where the lady could descend the steps straight into the water.In 1878 new swimming baths and the old baths demolished to make way for the Granville Gardens. This new establishment was situated at the far end of Marine Parade. It had a large swimming bath in the basement and a second bath was added a few years later to cope with demand. Both baths were filled with sea water. On the second floor there were private baths and baths for medical purposes. In the 1920s and 30s there was a bathing station on the beach with changing cubicles. Those bathers who could not afford the cost of the hire continued that time honoured British tradition of struggling out of a wet bathing costume under a towel while trying to preserve modesty.During the Second World War the old swimming baths were destroyed and the residents of Dover had to wait until the opening of the new swimming pool in 1972.