The building was originally a paper mill, which had been producing paper since 1795, and stood on the bank of the river Dour opposite Mannerings Flour Mill at Buckland. About 1846 it became a brewery known as Harding’s Wellington Brewery, probably taking its name from the then Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, the Duke of Wellington. The brewery was very close to the Buckland Brewery as can be seen from the map. The brewery ceased production in 1890 but the buildings, off Lorne Road, were not demolished until 1962. The rather poor quality photographs are taken from newspaper reports of the final demolition in 1962.