The Kingsford family seem to have come to Dover in the early 1800s. In 1802 Edward Kingsford is mentioned in the Freemen’s Rolls as purchasing his freedom for £20. In Pigot’s Directory for 1823 Edward Kingsford is listed as a brewer at Archcliffe Fort Brewery, and in 1828-9 Alfred Kingsford is the brewer.By the time of the 1832 Directory, Alfred has moved to the Buckland Brewery. Over the years this brewery is referred to variously as the Buckland Brewery, Kingsford’s Brewery and Windmill Brewery. The windmill incorporated into the brewery may have been one built at Buckland in 1798 for pumping water. The ready supply of water may well have been a consideration when siting the brewery here.The brewery seems to have been still operating in 1881 but by 1889 it appears to have ceased production. About 1890 the buildings were taken over by G.S. Palmer a coach builder. This firm went on to build motor car bodies in the early part of the 20th century. They also had premises in Cherry Tree Avenue where they were building bodies onto Rolls Royce chassis into the 1930s. The firm finally closed in the late 1930s a victim of streamlined production methods and increased mechanisation in the motor car industry.The old brewery site was cleared in 1983 to make way for sheltered flats for the elderly called Kingsford Court.