The Admiralty Look-out stands right on the edge of cliff and has commanding views of the harbour and Channel. The tall naval flagstaff was used for signalling to shipping. The reinforced concrete blast walls were added in 1940 after Dunkirk, and the roof was added in 1941, as protection against air attacks.Below the protective roof and walls are the original brick buildings of the Fire Command Post of 1905 and the Port War Signal Station of 1914. These were built on top of part of the obsolete Hospital Battery of 1874. To the rear of the Admiralty Look-out is the site of the nineteenth century garrison hospital after which the the battery was named.The Fire Command Post controlled all the guns around the harbour and from the Port War Signal Station the navy was able to monitor and control all shipping entering and leaving the harbour.After many years derelict and inaccessible, the Fire Command Post and Port War Signal Station have been restored and are now open to the public.