Dover Castle - 18th and 19th Century Fortifications
In the eighteenth century barracks were built within the walls of the Castle like those in the inner bailey. Many of the towers were lowered to create platforms for modern artillery or give clear field of fire to the new batteries. The keep was modified with brick vaults, or ‘bombproof arches’ built over the main apartments on the top floor in the 1790s. The complex of tunnels in the cliff face was started in the eighteenth century too.In the nineteenth century the defences were further strengthened during the Napoleonic Wars. The report of the Royal Commission on Defence published in 1860 led to the further strengthening of the Western Heights, and also the construction of Fort Burgoyne, to deny to any foe the high ground to the north east of the Castle. Further fortification of the castle took place in the 1870s with gun replacements and magazines for the ramparts on the line of the old eastern curtain wall. Other cliff edge batteries were rebuilt to mount heavy guns covering the harbour. One of the most impressive remains of the Victorians’ work at the Castle is the Officers’ Mess built in 1856-58.