Christ Church stood on raised ground on Folkestone Road almost opposite Effingham Street.The land for the building was originally in military hands. In March 1843, application was made to the Board of Ordnance for a piece of land to build the church. The Board responded generously by surrendering nearly an acre of ground, which had previously been used as a garden, situated between Military Road and Folkestone Road. The land was given on the condition that there should be space reserved in the church for 150 soldiers and officers. The money for the erection of the building was quickly subscribed. The foundation stone of Christ Church was laid on the 2nd of August, 1843. The building took ten months and the church was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury on the 13th of June, 1844.The building of the church initiated a building boom in the area. It transformed a large amount of agricultural land into building sites, to the delight of speculative builders, and gave enhanced value to property that had been dormant since Folkestone Road was opened in 1762. From the start the church was popular and the development of the area increased the congregation. A succession of galleries were were added to cope with the demand for seats. This demand was not to last and the church closed in 1973 due to the dwindling congregation. In 1977 the Church Commissioners decided that the church was no longer needed. The building was demolished and the site sold for flats. The parish was merged with the neighbouring St Martin’s parish. Christ Church Court now stands on the site.