The Harbour Station was opened on 1 November 1861 by the London Chatham & Dover Railway after extending their line through a tunnel from Dover Priory Station. The station had an overall roof over the platforms of a similar style to that at the Priory Station. In December 1864 a single track extension was opened to allow boat trains to run alongside the waiting cross Channel steamers on the Admiralty Pier . In June 1881 a double track extension was opened to connect with the South Eastern Railway’s line near to Dover Town Station. This line allowed through working of South Eastern Railway trains onto the newly opened joint line to Deal. The Harbour Station was unusual in that a section of the down platform was on wheels, which can be seen in the picture on the right. This section could be swung out of the way to allow trains access to the line leading to the Prince of Wales Pier and the Promenade Railway. The station closed on 10 July 1927 when passenger traffic for the town was consolidated at Dover Priory. The old station buildings are still standing, although the platforms and overall roof were demolished in 1929.