Holy Trinity Church on Strond Street was a very prominent architectural feature of the Pier District. It was the first church built in Dover under the authority of the Church Building Commissioners, who made a grant to the building fund. The first stone was laid, in 1833, by Dr Sumner, Archbishop of Canterbury. The consecration took place in September 1835, the total cost of the building including the furnishing came to £7,973. This large building had seating for 1,550.
The church was declared redundant and demolished after the Second World War, its congregation having been depleted by the slum clearances of the 1930s and the destruction caused by wartime bombing and shelling.