Maison Dieu House was built in 1665, to serve as a residence for the Agent Victualler, after the Maison Dieu was converted into a Navy Victualling Office. It continued to be used for this purpose until after the Battle of Waterloo (1815). Subsequently it was used by the Ordnance Department as a residence for the officer commanding the Royal Engineers at Dover until 1834. After this it was sold as a private residence. Mr R. W. Mummery, who was three times Mayor of Dover, lived there and died there in 1869. In 1855 the famous mountaineer Albert Mummery was born in the house. In 1904 Maison Dieu House was purchased by Dover Corporation and used as the offices of the Borough Engineer and Electricity Department. In the 1920s the town's War Memorial was erected on the lawn in front of the house.After being damaged during the Second World War the building was converted for use as a public library. The Library opened in Maison Dieu House in 1952, moving from the Biggin Hall where it had been housed after it's original premises were destroyed during the war.As well the fine red brick façade many original features survive. There is the magnificent 17th Century staircase, together with exposed ceiling beams and in some rooms original wall panelling. This beautiful building was home to Dover's excellent library until June 2003 when it closed prior to its move to the Dover Discovery Centre. During early 2004 the building was converted into offices for Dover Town Council, who moved into their new home in late summer 2004.