The Buckland Picture House opened on 27 December 1920, in London Road, close to the junction with Cherry Tree Avenue. Designed by Worsfold and Hayward of Dover, it was a rather plain building seating 533. The name was changed to the Regent Picture House in 1923 and sound equipment was installed in December 1930. By the mid 1930s, however, the entertainment scene in Dover was dominated by the Granada super cinema and the little Regent was hopelessly outclassed. Plans were drawn up for a new cinema on the site that could compete with the Granada. The old Regent closed on 31 May 1936 and was soon demolished so that work could start on the new cinema.The new cinema was air conditioned and seated 1850 people in stalls and balcony. The latest sound system was installed, Western Electric Microphone Sound, which was new on the market in 1937. Although there was no organ installed there were full stage facilities, complete with dressing rooms as it was intended that variety acts were to be part of the performances. The interior did not follow an ornate decorative theme but was finished in the modern, streamlined style of many 1930s cinemas. The Regent was opened on 27 March 1937 by the Marquess of Willingdon, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. Will Hay the popular comedian was guest of honour, which ensured all the seats were sold. The opening film was ‘The Great Barrier’ starring Richard Arlen and Lilli Palmer, plus a Technicolor cartoon and a newsreel. The programme also included a stage presentation with Hal Tauber and his Regent Orchestra.In July 1943 the Regent became part of the Odeon chain, although it was a number of years before the name was changed. The cinema was successful but by the mid 1960s was facing the problem faced by cinemas across the country, declining audiences due to competition from television. On 2 October 1971 the cinema finally closed and was eventually demolished to make was for a modern Territorial Army base.