Holy Trinity Church in the early 1860s.
The photo can be fairly accurately dated as the “Shipwrights
Arms” did not move here until 1859 and there is
no mention of the “Packet Boat Inn” after
Holy Trinity Church on Strond Street was
a very prominent architectural feature of the Pier District.
It was the first church built in Dover under the authority
of the Chrurch Building Commissioners, who made a grant to
the building fund.
The first stone was laid, in 1833, by Dr Sumner, Archbishop
of Canterbury. The consecration took place in September 1835,
the total cost of the building including the furnishing came
to £7,973. This large building had seating for 1,550.
The church was declared redundant and demolished after the
Second World War
its congregation having been depleted by the slum clearances
of the 1930s and the destruction caused by wartime bombing