In 1904 Maison Dieu House
was purchased by Dover Corporation and used as the offices
of the Borough Engineer and Electricity Department.
In the 1920s the town's War
was erected on the lawn in front of the
After being damaged during Second
the building was converted for use as
a public library. The Library opened in Maison Dieu
House in 1952, moving from the Biggin Hall where it
had been housed after it's original premises were destroyed
during the war.
As well the fine red brick fašade many original features
survive. There is the magnificent Jacobean staircase,
together with exposed ceiling beams and in some rooms
original wall panelling.
This beautiful building was home to Dover's
until June 2003 when it closed
prior to its move to the Dover
. During early 2004 the building
was converted into offices for Dover
, who moved into their new home in late