St Jamesís Street was one of the oldest
streets in Dover, taking its name from old St
stood at one end. Some of the houses which lined the
street dated back to Elizabethan times or even earlier.
At the western end of the street , where it joined St
Jamesís Lane, were some half-timbered houses with jettied
upper stories, which may have dated back to the 14 th
Before the opening of Castle
in the 1830s, St Jamesís Street was the main
route for coaches to and from Deal and Thanet. Until
1856 the old rectory stood on the corner Woolcomber
making St Jamesís Street so narrow that a
white stone was placed against the rectory wall to stop
vehicles striking the wall. The four horse coaches must
have made an impressive sight, racing down the street
and taking the sharp turn into St Jamesís Lane on their
way to the Market Square
On the north side of the street stood St Jamesís School
built in 1849 and extended in 1906. On the south side
of the street stood the Gordon Boysí Orphanage, established
by Mr Thomas Blackman in memory of Gordon of Khartoum,
soon after the Generalís death in the Sudan in 1885.
The street was seriously damaged by bombing in the Second
and has more or less disappeared. A few
original houses survive at the eastern end near to the
ruins of old St Jamesís Church.
In October 2004 plans for a redevelopment scheme for
the St James's area, known as the Dover
Town Investment Zone
, were revealed for public consultation.