The Prince of Wales Pier was named after Edward VII who, when Prince of Wales, laid the foundation stone in 1892. The landward end of the pier was a lattice work of iron, as is commonly associated with Victorian seaside piers, this connected with the seaward end which was built of stone and provided with berths for shipping on either side. These berths were capable of accommodating some of the largest ships then afloat as they had a depth of 40 feet even at low tide.The pier opened in 1902 and in 1905 a railway track was laid along it to connect with the berths. For a brief period (1903-1906) Dover was a port of call for German liners on their way to New York. Unfortunately as the outer harbour was nearing completion, and the gap between the Southern Breakwater and the Admiralty Pier was narrowing, the currents through the newly formed western entrance made handling these large vessels difficult. On one occasion the Hamburg-Amerika line's "Deutschland" crashed into the pier. It was after this mishap that the German liners stopped calling at Dover.In the mid-1970's work started to replace the open ironwork section with a solid pier. The harbour to the west of this section was reclaimed for the building of the new Hoverport, which opened in 1978. In 1993 a catamaran berth was built alongside the pier as part of the Hoverport complex. The new proposals for the redevelopment of the Western Docks will see major changes to the pier. The pier closed to the public at the start of 2016 when work commenced.