The Priory Station was opened on 22 July 1861 as a temporary terminus by the London Chatham and Dover Railway when their line from London reached Dover. On 1 November 1861 it became a through station when the tunnel connecting it with the Harbour Station opened. Originally called Dover Town it was renamed Dover Priory in July 1863, taking its name from the nearby remains of St Martin’s Priory. After this the name Dover Town was taken by the South Eastern Railway for their original terminus. As built, Dover Priory had an overall roof covering the platforms and was provided with goods, carriage and engine sheds. Passenger services for the town were consolidated at the Priory Station in 1927 when the old Harbour Station was closed (the Town Station had closed to civilian traffic in October 1914). The engine shed was closed in 1928 when a new shed near the old Town Station was opened. In 1932 the station was rebuilt in the modern style of the Southern Railway.During the Second World War the station saw much traffic including the evacuation of the children of Dover in June 1940. It had the dubious honour of being the victim of the first shell to hit the town, which destroyed the passenger footbridge on 11 September 1940. Since the war the station has seen a large increase in cross Channel passenger traffic as the Eastern Docks has developed. With no rail connection to the Eastern Docks, shuttle buses connect with the arrival of train serivces from London. In 1994 the Priory Station became Dover’s only railway station when the Marine Station closed.In August 2006 major renovations started at the station. Including the refurbishment of the station building, booking hall and toilet facilities, and planned improvements to the external circulation for vehicles. There were also works to improve port interchange facilities, signs for pedestrians and CCTV coverage in the waiting areas.In December 2009 high-speed trains started running from Dover Priory to London St Pancras. From Ashford International the new Javelin trains use the high-speed line built for the Eurostar Channel Tunnel services. Passengers are now able to reach London in 1 hour 6 minutes, saving at least 30 minutes on the previous quickest journey time.