The Royal Victoria Hospital was instituted in 1849 as an act of thanksgiving by the town for having escaped the cholera epidemic, which had claimed many lives in the 1840s. There had been a dispensary in the town since 1823 and it was decided to combine this with the new hospital. £1,760 was raised by public subscription and a property on the High Street known as Brook House was purchased and, after some alteration was opened on 1st May 1851.The new site adjoined land known as Wood’s Meadow and in 1858 this was purchased for the hospital so that it was not hemmed in by development and had room to expand. Additions were made to the building in 1860 and in the 1870s, with an annexe built in 1887 for Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. In 1897 one of the women’s wards was named ‘Victoria’ in honour of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. In 1901 Edward VII gave permission for the hospital to be called Royal Victoria after his mother. In 1927 a Centenary Fund was started and with the money raised another new wing was built in 1933. At the outbreak of the Second World War the patients were evacuated to Waldershare Park Mansion and the hospital still dealt with casualties.With the formation of the National Health Service Buckland Hospital gradually took over more and more eventually leaving just a Stroke Unit and Geriatric Day Hospital. The hospital finally closed its doors in May 1987 and spent a number of years mouldering away until converted into low cost apartments in the 1990s.