St Barnabas’ Church stood on the corner of Cherry Tree Avenue and Barton Road, close to Barton Road School. The foundation stone was laid Mr Robert Hesketh Jones, J.P. on 9th October 1901. The church was built to the design of Mr B Ingelow, architect. Initially the chancel, sanctuary and the first bay of the nave were built at a cost of just over £6000. This first part of the building was consecrated in 1902 with a debt still outstanding of about £3000 of the the building cost.The vicar of the new church was Rev C.H. Golding-Bird was so popular, that the growing congregation soon required more space. A corrugated annex had to be built on the site of what would eventually become the nave. The church was built in the Early English style and the money was eventually raised to complete the building. The church did not have a very long life and became another victim of the Second World War. On 22nd August 1940 it was severely damaged by a shell and was demolished in 1953. The altar is now in the modern church of St Nicholas Buckland Valley. The site of the church is now Barton Road School’s playing field.