The church of St Bartholomew stood on the corner of London Road and Templar Street.The church was built to serve the growing area of Tower Hamlets which started to be developed in the late 1840s. The building of a church, which had been discussed for many years, was finally started in 1877 and on the 27th of September that year the foundation stone was laid.The church was 111 feet long and 55 feet wide built in Early English style. The quoted price for the building was £6370, but it went over budget and the total cost was £7500. The church was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury on the 22nd of January, 1879. The church did not survive to celebrate its 100th birthday. Due to falling congregations, the parish of St. Bartholomew, Dover, merged with the parish of SS Peter & Paul, Charlton, on 1st July 1972 to form the parish of Charlton in Dover, and the church of St. Bartholomew became redundant. Shortly afterwards it was demolished to make way for flats.