St James’s Street was one of the oldest streets in Dover, taking its name from old St James’s Church which stood at one end. Some of the houses which lined the street dated back to Elizabethan times or even earlier. At the western end of the street, where it joined St James’s Lane, were some half timbered houses with jettied upper stories, which may have dated back to the 14th century.Before the opening of Castle Street in the 1830s, St James’s Street was the main route for coaches to and from Deal and Thanet. Until 1856 the old rectory stood on the corner Woolcomber Street making St James’s Street so narrow that a white stone was placed against the rectory wall to stop vehicles striking the wall. The four horse coaches must have made an impressive sight, racing down the street and taking the sharp turn into St James’s Lane on their way to the Market Square. On the north side of the street stood St James’s School built in 1849 and extended in 1906. On the south side of the street stood the Gordon Boys’ Orphanage, established by Mr Thomas Blackman in memory of Gordon of Khartoum, soon after the General’s death in the Sudan in 1885. During the Second World War the street was seriously damaged by bombing and has more or less disappeared. A few original houses survive at the eastern end near to the ruins of old St James’s Church.