The Dover Stage Hotel was built on a site between Townwall Street and Camden Cresent and had entrances on both roads. The building overlooked the Granville Gardens with views of the harbour.The site was acquired after the Second World War by the brewers Watney, Combe and Reid for £4,250. The site was originally occupied by Shipdem's House, or the Round House, which faced Granville Gardens and backed onto Townwall Street. This regency Villa was built by John Shipdem in the early 19th century. Shipdem was the Town Clerk and Registrar of Dover Harbour from 1791. It was said that he built it round so that the devil could not catch him in a corner! Later it became the British Legion Club and then the private Round House Club. The building was demolished after damage by shelling during the Second World War.Construction of the hotel started in January 1956 to a design by Louis Erdi in the modern post war style, with six floors and balanced on V-shaped struts. The hotel had 42 rooms on the upper five floors, all facing the sea and with their own balconies. The public rooms included a large ballroom, saloon bar, lounge, foyer, tea room, and an American bar. The cost of the building was in the region of £60,000 plus the cost of furniture and equipment. The Dover Stage was opened in May 1957 by the Mayor of Dover, who rode to the ceremony in an old stagecoach. Its public rooms became a popular location for dinners, dances and wedding receptions. Such a location had been sorely missed in the town after the destruction of the nearby Grand Hotel and closure of the Lord Warden Hotel during the Second World War. However, with only 42 rooms it was not a large hotel and its small size was the cause of its demise in 1988. In June that year permission was sought to demolish and erect flats in its place. Demolition work commenced in October 1988. The flats were never built and no more imaginative use than a car park can be found for this central site on the Seafront.