Pencester Road There are two contenders for the honour of having this road named after them. One Stephen de Pencester, who helped Hubert de Burghdefend the Castle during the French siege of 1216. Another Stephen de Pencester was also Constable of Dover Castle from 1267 to 1299. Before the road was built there had been no cross road from the main thoroughfare to Maison Dieu Road between Castle Streetand Bridge Street. In 1854 the Gunman estate came on the market and Pencester Road was laid out by Mr William Moxon. Soon after that the erection of houses commenced but before the surface of the road could be metalled, Mr Moxon’s financial difficulties brought matters to a standstill, the river only being bridged by a plank. The bridge was finally built in 1862. Pencester Gardens opened in the 1920s. RopewalkBeing a seafaring community rope-making was an important industry in Dover during the age of sailing ships. Rope-making required a long, straight area over which the ropes could be pulled and twisted during the manufacturing process. The original ropewalk was on the shingle bank on the site of what is now the Sea Front, when building started in this area it moved to Shakespeare Beach. In 1843 this area was bought by the South Eastern Railway for their new line into Dover. The rope manufactory moved to firm ground below the Western Heights but the business did not survive for long, although the name has in this area where the trade was last practised.St Radigund’s Road This road leads to the ruins of St Radigund’s Abbey on the hills just outside Dover. The Abbey was built in 1191 and survived until the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII. St Radegund lived from 518-587. She was the daughter of the King of Thuringia, whose assassination was avenged by the Frankish King Clotaire I. Clotaire had the twelve year old Radegund baptised and educated, and eventually married her. However, her ill treatment by the King, and his murder of her brother, compelled Radegund to leave him. She became a nun and went on to found the great nunnery of the Holy Cross at Poitiers, where she spent the last thirty years of her life.StembrookIt has been suggested that the name comes from the dam of the mill, that used to stand here, “stemming” the water, but Stembrook Mill is of comparatively modern origin having been built in 1799. The name may well have originated from the proximity of the pointed piece of land which divided the Eastbrook and the Westbrook of the river Dour, and as that point “stemmed “ the body of the stream, it would appropriately be called Stembrook. Tower Hamlets Road This road was originally called Black Horse Lane until 1866. It takes it present name from the housing development which was built either side of it. For many years brick-making was the staple industry of the area, and the owners of the brick fields were Messrs. J. & S. Finnis. At this time the only distinguishing feature in the area was a tower built to supply water. When the brick fields were being built over the question of a name for the area arose, and Mr S. Finnis suggested, jokingly, “let’s call it Tower Hamlets”, and the name stuck.Townwall Street Townwall Street owes its name to the fact that it is the thoroughfare which follows most closely the line of part of the town wall. From its start at Snargate Street to its termination at Woolcomber Street its whole length was alongside the wall. As the street developed the wall was demolished and much of the material reused in other buildings. During building work in the street in 1838, two guns called culverins, possibly from the time of Henry VIII, were discovered. Townwall Street today presents a very different aspect as much of the street was destroyed during World War Two and it is now a dual carriageway, leading to the Eastern Docks.Victoria Park This fine, sweeping terrace of substantial houses was built in 1864 and named after the Queen, who had by then been on the throne for 27 years. These large properties were often rented by the senior officers of the regiments stationed in Dover. There were private tennis courts at the bottom of the gardens and ample accommodation for servants in the basements and attics. These once grand houses are now divided into flats, but from a distance they still are an impressive sight sweeping across the hillside below the Castle.
Astley AvenueThis street was named after a prominent Dover citizen of the 19th century, Dr Edward F. Astley. He was Mayor 1858-9 and was a great benefactor to the town. He opened the Isolation Hospital at his own expense in 1871, was chairman of the committee responsible for laying out Connaught Park, and gave the town the organ in the Town Hall.Astor AvenueWas named after Major the Hon. J.J. Astor, Member of Parliament for Dover from 1922 to 1945. The road was opened by the M.P. himself in 1924.
Barton Road Marked on old maps as Barton Back, and although originally little more than a lane, until the building of Buckland Bridge in the late 18th century, it formed the main route for coaches, wagons and other traffic to Canterbury and London. The road as it appears today was developed in the late 1890s as part of the Barton Estate built by Sir William Crundall. Prior to this Barton Farm used to stand on the land between the road and the river Dour.Bartholomew StreetBuilt close to land used to be known as "Bartholomew Fields" where a "Bartelmy Fair" used to be held until 1830. The fields took their name from St Bartholomew's Hospital for lepers, which was founded nearby by monks from St Martin's Priory in 1152.
Bridge StreetThis street is part of an ancient road running from Charlton to Hougham, which continued on up what is now Tower Hamlets Road. The part now called Bridge Street probably got its name in 1829 when a brick bridge was built across the river Dour. Originally the road had crossed by a ford, with a wooden bridge for pedestrians.
Cannon StreetThere was a Cannon Ward in the earliest days of the Dover Corporation, and was the portion of the town under the control of the Canons of St Martin-le-Grand. It has been argued that the street takes its name from this ward and is thus misspelt. However, the street never bore this name at the time of the canons. A more likely explanation is that Captain Henry Cannon, who was Deputy Governor of Dover Castle during the Commonwealth, owned property in the street. Cherry Tree AvenueOriginally called Cherry Tree Lane after the large cherry tree which stood in the garden of the Cherry Tree Inn on London Road. The lane was widened and planted with trees (not cherry trees) in 1895, at a cost of £1129. After the widening it was renamed Cherry Tree Avenue.
Church StreetThis street was laid out, it is believed, after the demolition of St Peter's Church in the Market Square. It is unclear if the street takes its name from the demolished church or from St Mary's whose churchyard bounds one side of the street. De Burgh Street This street, laid out about 1866, was named after Hubert de Burgh, defender of Dover Castle during the French siege of 1216. The street was built on the site of the Eagle tea gardens, which had replaced the earlier Black Horse tea gardens on the same site. The Black Horse Inn and tea gardens had been a popular resort with the townsfolk, especially on the occasion of public executions which took place at the nearby crossroad until 1823. The Black Horse Inn, which stood on the corner of London Road and Black Horse Lane (now Tower Hamlets Road), was sold at auction in September 1839 and the Eagle Tavern built on the site.Dieu Stone LaneThis lane, which runs from Biggin Street to Maison Dieu Road, was once the boundary of the Maison Dieu Estate or Park. A stone once marked the boundary at the Maison Dieu Road end of the lane. This stone had a letter 'D' carved on it and for many years the lane was known as Dee Stone Lane.Effingham Crescent/StreetThe plans of the original eight Effingham Villas, in what was to become Effingham Crescent, were submitted to the Town Council in March 1847. The other side of Effingham Street was built a year or two later and was originally called St Martin's Street, as it was built on the site of the church of St Martin's Priory. The name was changed in 1872 after residents petitioned for the name to be changed in honour of the Countess of Effingham, who was a great benefactor in the building of the nearby Christ Church in 1844.Frith RoadOriginally called Love Lane, the road takes its name from Frith Farm, as the continuation of Frith Road, known as Old Charlton Road, leads to the farm. Frith Road was widened in the 1880s after some cottages at the bottom of the road were purchased by the Corporation and demolished to allow a width of 40 feet along the whole length of the road. King Street Both King's Street and King's Lane were terms in use in Dover deeds and charters in Norman times. The name probably originated from the fact that the whole of the property in that area was held from the King. The lane now called Fishmonger's Lane was originally King's Lane, the stretch of water at the bottom of it was called King's Water, and the mill that stood there was King's Mill.
LadywellIn this road was once the “Well of Our Lady”, a natural spring whose waters had, reputedly, curative and even miraculous properties. The well used to be in a nook in the wall of the Maison Dieu, and in the days before the Dover Waterworks, when good water was scarce, this water was carried all over the town. When the Corporation purchased the Maison Dieu in 1836, the well was covered over and a public pump installed over it. In 1858 this pump was repaired but in 1866, when a scientific analysis found the water to be unfit for human consumption, the pump was removed and the well closed.
Maison Dieu Road Until 1862 this road had been described in deeds as Charlton Back Lane. By the 1860s the road was assuming a residential character and the new name, deduced from its surroundings (the Maison Dieu Park on the west, and the Maison Dieu Fields on the east) was conferred upon it by the Corporation.
New Bridge Anyone standing in New Bridge today could be forgiven for asking “where’s the bridge?” The “new bridge” in question was built in 1800 and was called new to distinguish it from the earlier Buggin’s Bridge further upstream on the Dour. The bridge and the river were visible until 1840, when the northern parapet was removed to make room for houses, and the other parapet was taken away when Northampton Street opened in 1852. Today the Dour can be seen on the northern side of New Bridge as it dives under the steps leading up from the Townwall Streetpedestrian subway, on its way to join the sea in the Wellington Dock.
Woolcomber StreetThis street was built on land reclaimed after the old harbour here fell into disuse. The name comes from some hosues that were occupied by wool-combers in the 18th century. On the the east side of the street there used to be some houses marked Exhibition Place, so named because they were built in 1851, the year of the Great Exhibition in Hyde Park. Much of Woolcomber Street was destroyed during World War Two, the town’s swimming pool and sports centre now stand on one side of the road.Worthington Street Originally called Gardiner’s Lane, a name associated with the lane since at least the early 17th century. Around 1800 the name was changed to Worthington’s Lane, the Worthingtons being an important Dover family, one of whom was a wool merchant with warehouses in the lane. In 1895 the narrow lane was widened to its present width and became Worthington Street.