In 1933 work started on the construction of the new train ferry dock to the east of the Admiralty Pier. The dock was built like a large lock because the linkspan which connected the train ferry to the land had to be more or less level to operate. A large steel gate was raised from the floor of the dock once the ferry had entered and the water in the dock pumped to the required level.The Southern Railway built three train ferries to operate in conjunction with the new dock, the “Hampton Ferry”, “Twickenham Ferry” and “Shepperton Ferry”. On 28th September 1936 the “Hampton Ferry” was manoeuvred into the dock and the first railway freight trucks were shunted aboard.The dock was used mainly for freight but carried one passenger service daily in each direction - the famous “Night Ferry” London to Paris sleeping car service. The old dock was closed in 1988 when a new train ferry dock was built on the Admiralty Pier extension.