By the end of the 19th century Dover was a thriving port and garrison town, rapidly expanding out from its old centre. Much of the new housing was some distance from the town centre, an important fact when the only form of public transport was privately owned horse buses. In 1895 the Borough Council decided that the best way to ease Dover's transport problems would be the construction of an electric tramway.Authorisation for a new tramway had to be obtained from Parliament. In 1896 authorisation was given for three routes: Route 1: Admiralty Pier to Buckland Bridge via Strond Street, Snargate Street, Northampton Street, Bench Street, Market Square, Biggin Street and London Road. Route 2: Worthington Street to Maxton (Manor Road) via Folkestone Road.Route 3: New Bridge to East Cliff via Liverpool Street, Douro Place and Marine Parade (this route was never built)The main line (Route 1) ran from the Admiralty Pier to Buckland with a branch line (Route 2) running from Worthington Street, along the Folkestone Road to Maxton. Two depots were built to service the system, one at Buckland (now Hollis Motors showroom) and one at Maxton. The Buckland depot could hold 20 tram cars on four tracks, while the Maxton depot was smaller holding only six cars on two tracks but carried out all maintenance work for the system. Ten tram cars were built for the line initially, each capable of a top speed of 8 mile per hour, picking up electric power from overhead wires. The cars were open top double deckers with accommodation for 44 passengers. They were painted in a livery of emerald green and ivory, with gilt and green lining and the Corporation’s arms on the side below the windows.