In July 1920 three new trams were delivered but by the early 1920's it was becoming obvious that the system required much attention. It was run down by more than 20 years of continuous use and hampered by lack of materials during the war.Looking for alternatives to major investment, the Council accepted a demonstration of an early trolley bus in April 1922, which used the tramway's overhead wires for electricity supply. The demonstration aroused no enthusiasm and shortly afterwards the commencement of repairs on some of the most badly worn sections of track was approved. Through the 1920s the tracks and cars were patched up and repaired and, when the original 1897 cars were found to be beyond repair, second hand vehicles were purchased.In 1934 the East Kent Road Car Co. Ltd. offered to provide bus services in the Borough. Initially the offer was rejected by the Corporation who toyed with the idea of providing their own bus service. By the end of the year, however, the Council had entered into talks with East Kent. It was agreed that East Kent would replace the tram services with bus services and that the Corporation would receive three-quarters of the profits from these services. Many of the tramway employees were taken on by East Kent. The Dover Corporation Tramways finally ceased to operate on the night of 31st December 1936. The last tram was driven by the Mayor, arriving at Maxton depot at 11:30pm where an East Kent bus was waiting to take the Mayor and other dignitaries back to the Town Hall. The bus service started at 5:28am the next morning from Buckland. The old trams were scrapped and the tracks either taken up or tarmaced over.