From 1851 cross-channel
steamers were using the pier regularly. In 1860 the
South Eastern Railway
started running its trains along the pier to connect
with the railway owned steamers, and in 1864 its rival,
the London Chatham
and Dover Railway
, did the same.
The 1000 foot extension started in 1854 was to be completed
by November 1864, but by 1864 a decision had still not
been reached on how to terminate the pier. In 1871 it
was finally decided to add a further 300 feet terminating
in a substantial pierhead. The work was completed in
1875 and in the late 1870s it was decided to build the
on the pier head for defence.