After the war the ship-breaking
business returned to the Camber. The old Admiralty oil
depot was taken over in two parts, one by Esso and one
by Shell-Mex. Parker Pens opened a factory here and
freight ships docked at the Eastern Arm. Townsend car
ferries resumed operation and in 1951 designed their
own linkspan at Calais, which allowed car to drive off
the ferry in France even though they were loaded by
crane in England.
In 1953, when 117,000 vehicles a year were using the
port, a new car ferry terminal at the Eastern Docks
was opened allowing roll-on, roll-off traffic to start.
The ever-increasing demand soon rendered the two berths
inadequate and extra capacity and new terminal building
opened in 1970.
The first Hoverport
here in 1968 increasing the cross-Channel car carrying
capacity. The Hoverport moved to its new location at
the Western Docks in 1978.
The steady growth in traffic caused serious traffic
congestion in the town at peak times and in 1977 the
A2 by-pass was opened and named Jubilee Way in celebration
of the Queen’s Silver Jubilee that year. The road left
the top of the cliff and was carried down to the dock
gates by a graceful curved viaduct. Originally built
with some of its supports actually in the sea, this
viaduct is a good measure of how much the Eastern Docks
have grown since the late 1970s. Land reclamation for
further ferry births and parking for cars and lorries
waiting to cross has resulted in the viaduct now being
firmly landlocked, with all of its supports on dry land.