The nucleus of the Western Docks is the docks and basins that have developed on the site of the original mediaeval and Tudor harbour. Between 1840 and 1843 improvements were made to the Pent with all the quays rebuilt in stone. Then work commenced on enlarging the the Tidal Harbour by removing a large area of land in the north-east corner. This enabled the construction of a new entrance from the Tidal Harbour into the Pent with lock gates and a bridge for the public. This work cut through Union Street and involved the demolition of many buildings and the removal of 3000 wagon loads of soil a week from 1844 to 1846. The new bridge was opened by the Duke of Wellington, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports and Chairman of the Harbour Board.. The bridge was named after the Duke and the Pent renamed the Wellington Dock. The South Eastern Railway opened its Town Station in 1844 giving a speedy link to London. The first section of the Admiralty Pier was built between 1848 and 1854. In 1861 the London Chatham and Dover Railway opened the Harbour Station providing a second link to London. The Harbour Board started further improvements, especially in the Tidal Harbour, which were completed in 1871. The rebuilding of the Basin between the Tidal Harbour and the Wellington Dock and completed in 1874. It was named the Granville Dock after the then Lord Warden, Earl Granville. Other improvements, including the laying of railway lines along some of the quays to allow the easy transport of goods, were completed in 1879. The entrance of the Wellington Dock was widened in 1888 to allow larger ships to use it. The Western Docks were expanded through the 20th Century. In the early 1900s the Prince of Wales Pier was briefly host to the German trans-Atlantic liner traffic. The Marine Station opened to civilian traffic after the First World War and the Train Ferry Dock in 1936. After the Second World War the growing Eastern Docks and the popularity of car ferries reduced the number of traditional rail to ship passengers. New services were developed from the Western Docks with the building of the Hoverport and later the introduction of jetfoil and seacat services. After the closure of the Marine Station the site was redeveloped into the highly successful cruise liner terminal. The Granville and Wellington Docks continued to handle most of the cargo traffic through the port until the middle of the 20th Century. As the commercial traffic declined the two docks were redeveloped into the Marina. The Port of Dover Master Plan published in March 2006 outlined proposals to develop a new ferry terminal at the Western Docks with direct road access to the A20/M20. This could provide a location for up to four new ferry berths. In 2014 more detailed plans were unveiled. To make better use of space in the Western Docks, it will be necessary to modify Prince of Wales Pier and absorb the old Hoverport and some of the land currently dedicated to freight customs clearance. In addition it will be necessary to reclaim the Granville Dock and the Tidal Harbour marina areas to create adequate space for the new terminal. The marina is an important asset to tourism and the attractiveness of the harbour front. So the plan outlines proposals to create a new marina in a more prominent position in the outer harbour in the lee of the Prince of Wales Pier. It is interesting to compare the plans for development of new berths along the Prince of Wales outlined in the plan of 1906 (below left) with the plans from 2014 (below right).