St Martin's Battery s located overlooking Dover's Western Docks, in an area which would have been just inside the South Entrance of the Western Heights fortress. It commands excellent views of the harbour and town. (St Martin is the patron saint of Dover).Originally known Western Height Battery, it was constructed between 1871 and 1874 and was mounted with three 10-inch rifled muzzle loaded guns. In 1893 provision was made for the guns of St Martin’s Battery to be fitted to new long range mountings. By the turn of the 20th Century its muzzle loaded guns were rendered obsolete and unnecessary by the new breach loaded batteries built at the Citadel and Langdon CliffsThe old emplacements were modified and re-armed with 6-inch breech loading guns at the beginning of the Second World War, and the site became known as 'Western Heights Battery' again. A late 19th Century magazine, located directly behind the battery, was extended at this time to form a deep shelter. This was constructed in a similar way to shelters at other batteries in the area, being lined throughout in corrugated steel shuttering and iron girders, and followed a similar layout. A secondary entrance to the shelter is located in an area behind the site of the Grand Shaft Barracks.The remains of the battery have been tidied up by the White Cliffs Countryside project and presents an interesting mix of 19th Century and Second World War military construction.