© www.dover-kent.co.uk 2000 - 2016 
Home History Defence Transport Leisure Places People Words Information Contact
Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom

The War Memorial

The War Memorial c.1930.
The Dover War Memorial, erected on what was the front lawn of  Maison Dieu House , depicts a bronze figure of Youth, feet encircled  by thorns, hands up-stretched to grasp a fiery cross. The figure of Youth is symbolic of self-sacrifice and devotion. His hand grasping the cross enveloped in flame suggests triumph of the spirit  over bodily suffering. The thorns at his feet represent the difficulties  in the path of life overcome. The memorial was the work of Reginald R. Goulden who was born in  Dover in 1877. Educated at Dover College, he went to the Dover  School of Art, where he won a scholarship to the Royal College of Art  in London.  During the First World War he was in the front line in France in 1915  and 1916, and was mentioned in dispatches.  
He specialised in statues, memorial fountains, busts and panels, and after the war he designed and executed many war memorials all  over Britain, including that of the Bank of England, and the Middlesex memorial in the Guildhall. He surveyed, laid out and designed  the surrounds and pedestals of all his works.   Vice-Admiral Sir Roger Keyes unveiled the memorial to the people of Dover who had died in the First World War on 5 November 1924.  After the Second World War new inscriptions were added and it was re-dedicated to the dead of both World Wars. To coincide with Remembrance Day 2006 Dover Town Council published a booklet detailing the stories of some of the servicemen  whose names appear on the memorial. Take a look at the Dover War Memorial Project website, which has the information from the  booklet. It also has much more too about the casualties, the memorial, and includes some memories of war-time Dover. 
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them.
These very famous words are just a part of a poem by Laurence Binyon that he called The Fallen. It was first published in the Times  newspaper on 21st. September 1914.   There is a memorial to the men of the Dover Patrol at St Margarets, near Dover and another to the employees of the South Eastern and Chatham Railway at the old Marine Station.  
Back to First World War Index Back to Second World War Index Back to Buildings Index