Between 1775 and 1783 Moat’s Bulwark and
Achcliffe Fort
were again overhauled and their defences updated.
In front of Moat’s Bulwark, the Guilford
Battery was built, armed with four 32 pdr guns
and a number of carronades. Along the waterfront
were built a further three detached works, known
as North, Townsend and Amherst batteries, all
of which had much the same armament. With the
exception of some of the nineteenth century buildings
associated with Guilford Battery, no trace of
any of these now remains.
In 1853-4 Guilford Battery had its parapets raised
and 42pdr guns installed on traversing mounts.
At the same time a certain amount of modernisation
work was carried out on Moat’s Bulwark.
In 1856 a spiral stairway of 214 steps was cut
inside the cliff, just south of Canon’s
Gate, to link Moat’s Bulwark and Guilford
Battery to the castle. At intervals defensible
landings and doorways with firing slits were incorporated,
while lighting passages led to openings in the
cliff face. In the Second World War, some of the
latter were converted to observation posts and
had short accommodation tunnels added to their
rear.
In 1908 Moat’s Bulwark passed to the care
of the Ancient Monuments Branch of the Ministry
of Works and its military career was at an end.
It is now hemmed in between the A20 and the cliff,
a neglected ruin. In another town that does not
have major historical sites like the
Castle
and the
Western
Heights more would be made of remains like
this but poor old Moat’s Bulwark is just
a bit over shadowed by it’s big brothers.