Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
Charlton
Early History
The settlement is at least Saxon in origin as it is mentioned in
the Domesday Book, the survey ordered by William the
Conqueror and carried out in 1086. The survey lists the then
owners of the properties and the pre-conquest Saxon owners (in
the time of King Edward - i.e. King Edward the Confessor,
reigned 1042-1066). The entry for Charlton (Cerlentone) reads:
"Ralph de Sansone holds one manor in prebend, it is called
Cerlentone, and answers for one sulung. He has three villagers
and four smallholders with one plough. In total, value 70
shillings; in the time of King Edward, 100 shillings. Leofwin
held it in prebend.
In the same village William son of Odger holds one sulung. He
has one villager and seven smallholders with half a plough. And
one mill at 40 shillings. A Frenchman has one plough. William
also holds one monastery in Dover from the Bishop; it pays him
eleven shillings; the Canons claim it. Value of all this £6: in the
time of King Edward, £12. Sired Held it."
(Note: prebend - a stipend granted to a priest of a cathedral or
collegiate church, usually consisting of the revenues of one of
the manors in the estates belonging to that cathedral or church;
sulung a word only used in entries for Kent and believed to
mean the area of land which could be worked by one plough
team in a year.)
So in 1086 there were at least 15 people living in Charlton,
probably a scattering of dwellings around the mill and the ford
across the river Dour. As the Domesday Book only listed the
working men it must be assumed that at least some of them
had families.
The church is first mentioned in a manuscript reference to its
dedication dating from between 1147 and 1182. Presumably by
this time the village had grown sufficiently to justify the building
of a place of worship.
Charlton Green
The village developed around the church, the mill and the ford,
centred on the area now called Charlton Green. Until the late
18th century, when Buckland Bridge was built, the main road
from Dover to Canterbury ran through Charlton Green, along
what are now Frith Road, Barton Road and Buckland Avenue.
When Dover first became fashionable as a seaside resort in the
first quarter of the 19th century, the Green was regarded as one
of the prettiest spots in the area. The houses stood far back
from the road, and the intervening gardens were carefully kept
up, with rows of beehives to take advantage of all the flowers.
By about the year 1840 Charlton had started to lose its rustic
charm. In 1829 a bridge was built to replace the old ford and
connected Charlton Green with Bridge Street.
Nineteenth Century Expansion
In 1801 Charlton was separated from Dover by open country,
yet within 20 years they were connected by a continuous string
of properties along the main road to London, stretching from
the Maison Dieu to Buckland Bridge. In 1836 Charlton was
incorporated into the Borough of Dover. The growth can be seen
from the population figures in the Census.
As the population grew the village started to expand out from
its old centre. The Tower Hamlets area started to be developed
from 1846, adding greatly to the housing stock of the parish.
Frith Road was widened and houses built in the 1880s and at
the same time the Dover Castle Estate, including Castle Avenue,
Salisbury Road and Park Avenue was under construction.
Charlton Fair
For centuries Charlton Green was the site of the Charlton Fair,
held annually on 6 July. For a long time the fair thrived, the
population being small and the Green large, there was plenty of
room for business and entertainment. As the population grew
and the Green reduced in size the space for the fair became
limited, and in the mid 19th century the fair as a parochial
institution ceased, although it struggled on until the end of the
19th century when the surrounding meadows where it was held
were built upon.
The Red Lion
The earliest reference to this public house in Charlton Green
dates from 1843 when Mary Whiting was the licensee. It is
likely that a inn of some description had existed here for many
years in the heart of the old village. In May 1859 the Red Lion
was auctioned and the property on offer was described as "the
old established, freehold pub, recently rebuilt and together with
tea gardens, outbuildings and a large stable".
Barton Farm
The farm used to stand on the southern side of Buckland Back
Road and to the west of Charlton Church, between the road and
the River Dour. About 1900 Buckland Back Road was renamed
Barton Road, as part of the development of new housing in the
area. At the same time Barton Farm was demolished and
Beaconsfield Avenue, Charlton Avenue, Limes Road and Barton
Grove were built on the site. In fact, Charlton Avenue passes
over the site of the farmhouse.
Charlton School
The Parochial School was built in the churchyard in 1841. It took
80 children, all boys. This building was used until the new
building in Granville Street was built in 1875. The girls'
department appears to have started on 1 January 1877. It is
likely that the girls were housed in the old building at first. On 2
June 1882 they moved to the new building for girls and infants.
This building, which was enlarged in 1898, is still used by
Charlton School today. During World War Two the Granville
Street building was destroyed by shelling in September 1944.
Chitty's Flour Mill
There had been mill at Charlton since Saxon times. In 1865 Mr
Chitty bought the mill after the previous owner had gone
bankrupt. Chitty introduced modern machinery and
supplemented the water wheel with steam power. The water
power was also used to generate electricity to light the mill and
offices. The tower contained a water reservoir to feed the
boilers and the fire sprinkler system that was installed
throughout the factory. The mill was badly damaged by shelling
during World War Two and demolished after the war.
The Footbridge over the Dour
Close to old Charlton Church there used to be a footbridge
across the River Dour This bridge was built in 1881 at a cost of
£82.10s (£82.50). In 1902 a road bridge was built to connect
Beaconsfield Road and Beaconsfield Avenue and the footbridge
was removed.
Charlton Today
Charlton is a major residential area in the heart of Dover with
modern retail development. In 2006-7 a new river-side
residential development was built on the site of an old furniture
factory. The 46 houses are built in a tradition brick and
clapboard style and are a big improvement on the old light
industrial use of the site.
Charlton Census Figures
1801 - 279
1861 - 4,093
1811 - 600
1871 - 5,340
1821 - 791
1881 - 6,683
1831 - 1,720
1891 - 7,839
1841 - 2,513
1901 - 8,941
1851 - 3,126
1911 - 9,213
By 1911 the population growth that had started in
the 19th Century was largely complete.