Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
The Saxon Shore Fort
Towards the end of the third century AD the ever increasing Saxon raids, necessitated the
strengthening of the coastal defences. Around AD 270, Roman army units moved into Dover
to construct a new “Fort of the Saxon Shore”. They ignored the old Classis Britannica Fort
and built anew, although the corners of the two forts did overlap. The new fort enclosed a
number of civilian buildings to the north of the earlier fort and the west wall went straight
through the west end of the Painted House.
Over 1000 feet of the south and west wall of the fort have been traced. The massive
defensive wall was nearly 10 feet thick, reinforced at intervals along its length by great
stone bastions and a ditch nearly 40 feet wide and 10 feet deep. Within the walls have been
found the remains of at least 11 timber built structures, metalled roads and a postern gate
with footbridge. It also appears that the military bath-house dating from about AD 140-160
was reused within the walls of the fort which now enclosed it.
The fort seems to have been occupied at least until the first half of the 5th century and
there is some evidence of occupation into the 6th century.
A late 4th century document mentions nine forts under the command of the Count of the
Saxon Shore: Branodunum (Brancaster, Norfolk), Gariannonum (Burgh Castle, Norfolk),
Othona (Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex), Regulbium (Reculver, Kent), Rutupiae (Richborough,
Kent), Dubris (Dover), Portus Lemanis (Lympne, Kent), Anderitum (Pevensey Castle, East
Sussex), Portus Adurni (Portchester Castle, Hampshire). The coloured photo of Portchester
Castle (bottom right) gives an idea of what the fort at Dover might have looked like.