area which would have been just inside the South Entrance of the
Western Heights fortress. It commands excellent views of the harbour
and town. (St Martin is the patron saint of Dover).
Originally known Western Height Battery, it was constructed between
1871 and 1874 and was mounted with three 10-inch rifled muzzle
loaded guns. In 1893 provision was made for the guns of St Martin’s
Battery to be fitted to new long range mountings. By the turn of the
20th Century its muzzle loaded guns were rendered obsolete and
unnecessary by the new breach loaded batteries built at the Citadel
and Langdon Cliffs
The old emplacements were modified and re-armed with 6-inch breech
loading guns at the beginning of the Second World War, and the site
became known as 'Western Heights Battery' again. A late 19th Century
magazine, located directly behind the battery, was extended at this
time to form a deep shelter. This was constructed in a similar way to
shelters at other batteries in the area, being lined throughout in
corrugated steel shuttering and iron girders, and followed a similar
layout. A secondary entrance to the shelter is located in an area behind
the site of the Grand Shaft Barracks.
The remains of the battery have been tidied up by the White Cliffs
Countryside project and presents an interesting mix of 19th Century
and Second World War military construction.