Directory, which lists Edward Kingsford as a brewer at
Archcliffe Fort Brewery. In the 1828-9 Directory the brewer is
listed as Alfred Kingsford, but by the 1832 Pigot’s Alfred had
moved to the Buckland Brewery and there is no mention of the
Archcliffe Fort Brewery in the list of brewers. As the Bulwark
Hill Brewery was opposite Archcliffe Fort it is likely that it is
one and the same with Archcliffe Fort Brewery, or at least
occupied almost the same site.
The first definite mention of the Bulwark Hill Brewery is in the
1840 Pigot’s Directory, with John Alexander Walker and Son as
brewers at Bulwark Hill, and by 1845 the brewer is William
Walker. Sometime between 1844 and 1847 the brewery must
have changed hands because from 1847 to 1882, Henry Cliffe
is listed as the brewer. There then follows a quick change in
ownership, J.A. Rolls is the brewer in 1889 and 1890 but by
1891 it is Woodhams and Levey.
The last brewers on the site were the East Kent Brewery, who
are listed in the directories from 1895 - 1900. From the entries
it would appear that they also had premises at Sandwich. By
the 1905 Directory the East Kent Brewery Co. has moved to
premises in Commercial Quay and Snargate Street, and the
Bulwark Hill Brewery is no longer mentioned. These new
addresses were presumably offices and distribution depots for
beer brewed elsewhere. The brewery building still appears on
the 1907 Ordnance Survey map but by the 1913 Street
Directory the site is occupied by the Pier Infants School.