Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
Brook House
In the mid 19th century, Mr William Moxon, a man of bold
initiative, became the contractor for town drainage, and large
works of fortification at the Western Heights. He took in hand
the land known as Maison Dieu Park, which had been
earmarked for residential building but had not yet been
developed. He formulated a general scheme for widening
Charlton Back Lane (Maison Dieu Road) and planned a new
road across the river Dour into Biggin Street (Pencester Road).
Expecting to make a large fortune out of his various
undertakings, both in Dover and London, he reserved the
greater part of the Maison Dieu Park above Pencester Road for
his own use. It was here that he built Brook House as his
residence. The park, alongside Charlton Back Lane, had been
bounded by an ancient stone wall, which Mr Moxon demolished
in 1860, and set back his iron railings as a boundary to the
Brook House grounds. The new road, which became Maison
Dieu Road, was 30 feet wide in accordance with the plans
drawn up by the Town Surveyor.
Mr Moxon only occupied Brook House for a short time. It was
afterwards the residence of Major-General Ellice, Commandant
of the South-Eastern District. Subsequently Mr John
Birmingham, the proprietor of the Lord Warden Hotel who was
also Mayor of Dover four times, purchased it. On retiring from
business he made Brook House his residence and died there in
February 1875, aged 80 years. The mansion remained in the
hands of the Birmingham family until August 1886, when it
was sold by auction for £6,000.
Soon after the sale the lower part of the grounds was used for
building. A row of seven houses was built on one side of a
short road called The Paddock. On the opposite side of The
Paddock, adjoining Brook House grounds, a Girls’ High School
was built (this red brick building now forms part of South Kent
College).
In 1920 the house was purchased by Dover Corporation for
use as municipal offices. The last private owners were the
Misses Humphreys, to whom the Council paid £5,000 for the
property. The Misses Humphreys vacated the premises in
September 1921 having negotiated a tenancy from the Council
until they could move into their new house. Brook House was
then converted by the Corporation to provide offices for the
Town Clerk, Borough Accountant, Medical Officer of Health and
other departments. On the grounds between the house and
Maison Dieu Road municipal tennis courts were laid out. In
1957 a modern extension was built on the back of the original
building to house the Borough Treasurer’s Department.
In the Local Government Reorganisation of 1974 Dover
Borough Council was wound up and its functions were taken
over by the newly formed Dover District Council. Brook House
passed to the new authority and became home to the District
Council Finance Department.
The new Council, whose boundaries now included the towns of
Dover, Deal and Sandwich and the surrounding villages, was
faced with the problem of having its available office space
scattered over the district.
This problem was solved in the 1980s by the building of a new
office complex at Whitfield, on the outskirts of Dover, complete
with Council Chamber. The Finance Department left Brook
House at the end of 1987.
The house stood empty after this and it was announced that
the Council wished to demolish it to build a car park. There
was great public outcry at this and moves were made to have
the building listed. Then overnight the building was
demolished, contractors working on Saturday 16 July 1988 to
reduce it to a pile of rubble. Unfortunately the only monument
to this once lovely building is the tarmac of Maison Dieu Car
Park.