Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
The Diamond Brewery
This brewery is believed to have been built by Henry
Worthington, a member of a prominent Dover family. He built
it close to Maxton Manor, on Folkestone Road, after he had
bought the property in 1849. When Henry died in 1866 the
brewery and all of the Maxton Estate were left in trust to his
brothers-in-law, to pay a yearly rent equally to his two
daughters while they remained unmarried. One daughter died
in 1883 , the other married in 1885, and in July 1885 the
property was auctioned.
The Diamond Brewery was purchased by John James Allen,
who sold it to Stanley Single in 1889, who in turn sold it to
Edwin Dawes in 1891. In 1898 Dawes sold it to Thomas Philips
& Co. Ltd., this firm going bankrupt in December 1907. The
company and its assets were sold off and the brewery was
purchased by Alfred Leney & Co. in 1908.
Leney & Co. used the site as a depot, with parts sold off
gradually over the years. In the early 1960s when Leney’s
original Phoenix Brewery finally closed, the old malt-house on
the Diamond Brewery site, between Maxton Road and Manor
Road, was used as a distribution depot.