the Castle like those in the inner bailey. Many of the towers were
lowered to create platforms for modern artillery or give clear field
of fire to the new batteries. The keep was modified with brick
vaults, or ‘bombproof arches’ built over the main apartments on
the top floor in the 1790s. The complex of tunnels in the cliff face
was started in the eighteenth century too.
In the nineteenth century the defences were further strengthened
during the Napoleonic Wars. The report of the Royal Commission
on Defence published in 1860 led to the further strengthening of
the Western Heights, and also the construction of Fort Burgoyne,
to deny to any foe the high ground to the north east of the Castle.
Further fortification of the castle took place in the 1870s with gun
replacements and magazines for the ramparts on the line of the
old eastern curtain wall. Other cliff edge batteries were rebuilt to
mount heavy guns covering the harbour.
One of the most impressive remains of the Victorians’ work at the
Castle is the Officers’ Mess built in 1856-58.