pushing for a new road to connect the Market Square with
Castle Hill, which had been constructed in 1797 as a military
road.
Castle Street was mostly constructed between 1830 and 1835
but there was a dispute with the owner of the Antwerp Hotel’s
stables and yard which stood in the way of the connection with
the Market Square. It was only after and Act of Parliament was
obtained in 1836 and the developers paid compensation to Mr
Huntley, the owner of the stables, that the road was completed.
Castle Street was formally opened into the Market Square on
17 March 1837.
The opening of Castle Street created an new direct way to
Charlton Back Road, which developed into Maison Dieu Road.
The new street also provided a much more direct route
between the town centre and the Deal Road than the old route
via St James’s Street.
The street has escaped relatively unscathed over the years, and
traffic calming measures in the 1990s resulted in the roadway
being narrowed and wide, stone flagged, pavements being laid.