opposite Effingham Street.
The land for the building was originally in military hands. In
March 1843, application was made to the Board of Ordnance for
a piece of land to build the church. The Board responded
generously by surrendering nearly an acre of ground, which had
previously been used as a garden, situated between Military
Road and Folkestone Road. The land was given on the condition
that there should be space reserved in the church for 150
soldiers and officers.
The money for the erection of the building was quickly
subscribed. The foundation stone of Christ Church was laid on
the 2nd of August, 1843. The building took ten months and the
church was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury on the
13th of June, 1844.
The building of the church initiated a building boom in the area.
It transformed a large amount of agricultural land into building
sites, to the delight of speculative builders, and gave enhanced
value to property that had been dormant since Folkestone Road
was opened in 1762.
From the start the church was popular and the development of
the area increased the congregation. A succession of galleries
were were added to cope with the demand for seats. This
demand was not to last and the church closed in 1973 due to
the dwindling congregation. In 1977 the Church Commissioners
decided that the church was no longer needed. The building was
demolished and the site sold for flats. The parish was merged
with the neighbouring St Martin’s parish. Christ Church Court
now stands on the site.