Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
Dover Harbour - A Brief History
The discovery of the Bronze Age Boat shows that Dover has been
involved in cross-channel traffic for at least 3,500 years. These early
seafarers would not have had a harbour as we know it, instead they
would have taken advantage of the mouth of the river Dour, running
between its protective cliffs, pulling their boats up onto the muddy
banks.
Dover's sheltered position, and the fact that it is the closest land in
Britain to continental Europe, was not lost on the Romans who built a
harbour in the area of what is now the Market Square. On the cliffs
either side of the town they built massive lighthouses to guide ships
into the port at night. The Roman fleet in Britain, the Classis
Britannica, used Dover as its base.
By the time of the Norman conquest the mouth of the Dour had
changed and the old Roman harbour silted up. A delta of mud had
divided the mouth of the river in to two streams, the Westbrook,
flowing into the western side of the bay, and the Eastbrook, emptying
into the sea by the cliff on which the Castle stands. The mouth of the
Eastbrook became the harbour proper, called Warden Down, it was a
flourishing community of seafarers, fishermen and shipbuilders. The
little port was in constant danger of silting up and its life was finally
ended when a fall of chalk from the cliffs blocked the river in the late
thirteenth century.
Lack of a safe anchorage was particularly serious as Sandwich,
formerly the port for the Royal Fleet, was silting up too. For the first
time people began to apply themselves seriously to the task of making
Dover more than just a minor shelter for shipping. Dover also had its
position as a Cinque Port to consider and all the privileges that went
with it. Efforts now concentrated on the sheltered indentation made by
Archcliffe to the west of the town.
At the foot of Archcliffe, a stretch of mud and shingle had formed over
the years forming a pool open to the sea which was deep enough to
shelter ships. In 1495 Sir John Clark, a priest and Master of the Maison
Dieu, built the first of the piers at Dover in an effort to provide better
shelter to ships. The haven was a blessing to the community,
especially in stormy weather, and hence was called Paradise.
For a while all was well but soon shingle began to build up against the
western side of the pier and eventually to creep around the end,
threatening to block the harbour. Henry VIII funded further work on
the harbour to keep it open to shipping but by 1556 Paradise was all
but filled up and useless to shipping. In 1575 the town petitioned
Queen Elizabeth I and a commission was set up to consider the best
way to restore the harbour. William Borough, Comptroller of the Navy
and chairman of the commission, recommended the building of a
completely new harbour guarded at its mouth by two jetties. Bearing
in mind the fate of Paradise he also advised the provision of a large
pool of pent-up water, which could be released using sluices to flush
out any obstructing shingle from the entrance. Under the direction of
William Digges the works that were to form the nucleus of the present
Dover Harbour were undertaken.
In 1606 a Royal Charter was granted creating the Dover Harbour Board
to administer the harbour. Now any revenue earned by the port could
be ploughed back into its maintenance and development. By the terms
of the Charter, not only were the harbour and pent made over to the
Board but also reclaimed land up to the cliffs below Snargate and
along the shore as far as the Castle should belong to it. The more land
that was reclaimed, the more houses there would be, and so more
rents to swell the Board's income.
Through the 17th and 18th centuries a constant battle against the
blocking of the harbour by shingle was fought, with numerous pleas to
Parliament for funds to help pay for the work. What was really need
was a jetty to the west of the harbour entrance that reached out into
deep water to stop the shingle piling up against it and creeping around
the end to block the harbour. The massive outer harbour we can see
today owes its origin to a recommendation made in 1845 to construct
a harbour of refuge capable of handling up to 20 large naval vessels.
A start was made in enclosing the bay, beginning with the south
western quarter because of its vulnerability to storms. The Admiralty
Pier was begun in 1847 and by 1850 had reached 650ft from the
shore, ending the menace of drifting shingle. Extension work continued
until 1875 when the Admiralty, put off by the cost, lost interest in the
harbour of refuge. Dover Harbour Board then decided to complete the
inner harbour itself and began the Prince of Wales Pier in 1892, only
for the government to decide to complete the outer harbour, which it
did in 1909.
It is within this square mile of enclosed water that subsequent
development has taken place. In the Western Docks the "railway age"
harbour developed with the new Marine Station opening in 1920 and
the Train Ferry Dock in 1936. In the 1950s the Eastern Docks started
to be developed for the growing roll-on roll-off car ferry services. In
the late 1960s a regular hovercraft service was started from a purpose
built Hoverport.
As the car ferry services increased the Eastern Docks continued to
expand. In the 1970s the Hoverport moved to the Western Docks
increasing available space for ferry berths. As the numbers of train
passengers declined the Marine Station closed and was redeveloped in
1994/5 as a cruise liner terminal. This terminal was so successful that
in 2000 a second cruise terminal opened.
In the inner harbour too, as traditional commercial shipping use
declined, the Harbour Board has encouraged new uses with the Marina
in the Granville and Wellington Docks and the retail development at De
Bradelei Wharf.
The latest plans for the redevelopment of the Western Docks were
unveiled in early 2014. These plans will involve changes to the
location of the Marina and new berths on the site of the old Hoverport.
Port Statistics 2014
Passengers
13,295,492
Tourist Cars
2,456,817
Coaches
96,576
Road Haulage Vehicles
2,421,537