thanksgiving by the town for having escaped the cholera epidemic,
which had claimed many lives in the 1840s. There had been a
dispensary in the town since 1823 and it was decided to combine
this with the new hospital. £1,760 was raised by public
subscription and a property on the High Street known as Brook
House was purchased and, after some alteration was opened on
1st May 1851.
The new site adjoined land known as Wood’s Meadow and in 1858
this was purchased for the hospital so that it was not hemmed in
by development and had room to expand. Additions were made to
the building in 1860 and in the 1870s, with an annexe built in
1887 for Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. In 1897 one of the
women’s wards was named ‘Victoria’ in honour of the Queen’s
Diamond Jubilee. In 1901 Edward VII gave permission for the
hospital to be called Royal Victoria after his mother. In 1927 a
Centenary Fund was started and with the money raised another
new wing was built in 1933.
At the outbreak of the Second World War the patients were
evacuated to Waldershare Park Mansion and the hospital still dealt
with casualties.
With the formation of the National Health Service Buckland
Hospital gradually took over more and more eventually leaving
just a Stroke Unit and Geriatric Day Hospital. The hospital finally
closed its doors in May 1987 and spent a number of years
mouldering away until converted into low cost apartments in the
1990s.