and Barton Road, close to Barton Road School.
The foundation stone was laid Mr Robert Hesketh Jones, J.P. on
9th October 1901. The church was built to the design of Mr B
Ingelow, architect. Initially the chancel, sanctuary and the first
bay of the nave were built at a cost of just over £6000. This
first part of the building was consecrated in 1902 with a debt
still outstanding of about £3000 of the the building cost.
The vicar of the new church was Rev C.H. Golding-Bird was so
popular, that the growing congregation soon required more
space. A corrugated annex had to be built on the site of what
would eventually become the nave. The church was built in the
Early English style and the money was eventually raised to
complete the building.
The church did not have a very long life and became another
victim of the Second World War. On 22nd August 1940 it was
severely damaged by a shell and was demolished in 1953. The
altar is now in the modern church of St Nicholas Buckland
Valley. The site of the church is now Barton Road School’s
playing field.