first date from 1804 and were known as the Grand Shaft Barracks,
being located at the top of the Grand Shaft Staircase. They provided
accommodation for 59 Officers, 1,300 NCOs and privates and eight
horses. These barracks were noted for their light and airy situation,
and close to them near Archcliffe Gate was a Military Hospital, with
beds for 180.
The second large set of barracks was the South Front Barracks, built
in the 1860s. They were constructed in a huge trench, facing the sea
with different floor levels connected to the hill behind by cast iron
bridges and galleries. These were not such pleasant barracks to live
in, being cold and dark. In 1920 the barracks on the Western
Heights were classes as sub-standard and unacceptable for their
purpose.
In the mid-1950s there was an acute shortage of housing and some
of the Grand Shaft Barracks and married quarters were renovated
and put into use. However with the subsequent construction of local
council houses the buildings were no longer needed.
The Both sets of barracks and the hospital were demolished in the
1960s.