1844, as the terminus of their new line from London via Redhill. The
station was designed to resemble the London Bridge Station, which at
the time was the London terminus of the South Eastern Railway. It was
originally designed with an impressive tower, as can be seen in the
artist’s impression of the opening ceremony, but this was never built.
The railway company did build the Lord Warden Hotel on land adjoining
the station, which was connected to the station at first floor level by a
glazed footbridge over the road.
In 1859 work started extending the line from the station onto the
Admiralty Pier, it was completed in 1861 and allowed the trains to
connect with the cross-Channel steamers. In 1863 the station, which
had originally just been called Dover, changed its name to Dover Town
after the London Chatham & Dover Railway’s ‘Dover Town’ had changed
its name to Dover Priory.
In June 1881 a double track line was opened to the London Chatham &
Dover Railway’s Harbour Station. This branched off the main line just
before it entered the Town Station. This new line allowed through
working of South Eastern Railway trains onto the newly opened joint
line to Deal.
In October 1914 the station closed to passengers when the South
Eastern Railway decided to concentrate local passenger services at the
Priory Station. The station continued in military use during the First
World War. In 1928 new engine sheds were opened close to the site of
the old town station, replacing the original small sheds at Dover Town
and Dover Priory. The remaining station buildings were demolished in
December 1963.