Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
Dover Corporation Tramways - Building the Line
By the end of the 19th century Dover was a thriving port and
garrison town, rapidly expanding out from its old centre. Much
of the new housing was some distance from the town centre,
an important fact when the only form of public transport was
privately owned horse buses. In 1895 the Borough Council
decided that the best way to ease Dover's transport problems
would be the construction of an electric tramway.
Authorisation for a new tramway had to be obtained from
Parliament. In 1896 authorisation was given for three routes:
Route 1: Admiralty Pier to Buckland Bridge via Strond Street,
Snargate Street, Northampton Street, Bench Street, Market
Square, Biggin Street and London Road.
Route 2: Worthington Street to Maxton (Manor Road) via
Folkestone Road.
Route 3: New Bridge to East Cliff via Liverpool Street, Douro
Place and Marine Parade (this route was never built)
The main line (Route 1) ran from the Admiralty Pier to
Buckland with a branch line (Route 2) running from
Worthington Street, along the Folkestone Road to Maxton. Two
depots were built to service the system, one at Buckland (now
Hollis Motors showroom) and one at Maxton. The Buckland
depot could hold 20 tram cars on four tracks, while the Maxton
depot was smaller holding only six cars on two tracks but
carried out all maintenance work for the system.
Ten tram cars were built for the line initially, each capable of a
top speed of 8 mile per hour, picking up electric power from
overhead wires. The cars were open top double deckers with
accommodation for 44 passengers. They were painted in a
livery of emerald green and ivory, with gilt and green lining
and the Corporation’s arms on the side below the windows.