Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
Dover Corporation Tramways - Expansion
The main line opened on 6th September 1897, with the Mayor
driving the first tram from the Town Hall to Buckland and back,
and the Maxton branch opened in December of the same year.
Dover's new electric tramway was the first in South-East
England and only the second in Britain. The initial cost of the
system was £27,000 and the trams proved very popular with
the population.
By the end of the first year 1,794,905 passengers had been
carried, rising to 2,710,420 in the year 1900-1901. The 1901
Census gave Dover's population as 41,794, which meant, on
average, every man, woman and child in the Borough made 65
journeys a year. Four new tram cars were delivered in 1898,
allowing a five minute interval service on the main line and a
10 minute interval service to Maxton.
In 1898 the main line was shortened, the section from
Admiralty Pier to Strond Street being abandoned due to delays
caused by trams having to wait at the Crosswall level crossing
over the railway. In 1902 another tram of more modern design
was delivered. In May 1904 the Corporation acquired the Dover
Electricity Company and no longer had to pay a private
company for the power used by the trams.
In 1905 the line was extended from Buckland to River and four
new trams purchased for this service. In 1911 Sunday services
were introduced, and three more trams were purchased in
1912.