ship in June 1874. It was designed by Captain Dicey who was
convinced of the trustworthiness and stability of the catamaran
design, based on his observations of native canoes and
catamarans while he was Harbour Master in Calcutta.
The ship was in effect two half hulls joined together by girders
and with paddle wheels between the hulls. She was the largest
ship yet built for the Channel service, measuring some 290ft by
60ft with a gross tonnage of 1,553. It was her unusually wide
beam that Captain Dicey hoped would be the answer to the
problems of seasickness that plagued cross-Channel
passengers. The ‘Castalia’ was designed to carry 700
passengers and, because manoeuvring in Calais harbour was so
difficult, the ship was double ended so that it would be
unnecessary to turn round.
The ‘Castalia’ arrived in Dover in October 1874 but had to
return to London the following month to have new boilers and
paddles fitted as her speeds on trial were nothing like as high
as were expected.
In June 1875 she returned to Dover and her first crossing to
Calais was encouraging enough for her to start a regular service
in August. Her crossing speeds were still far too slow, which
meant that she had to leave Dover or Calais before the arrival
of the mail train, causing passengers wishing to travel on the
ship considerable inconvenience. She thus carried fewer
passengers than she might otherwise have done and was not a
financial success. After a short working life she was withdrawn
at the end of October 1876 and, after a few years lying idle,
she was sold in 1883 and ended her days as a hospital for
infectious diseases on the Thames.