Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
The Maison Dieu
The Hospital of St Mary, Domus Dei, or Maison Dieu, which
forms part of the Old Town Hall buildings, was founded by
Hubert de Burgh, then Constable of Dover Castle, in 1203. The
main purpose was that it should accommodate pilgrims
coming from the Continent to visit the shrine of Thomas à
Becket in Canterbury.
The original buildings were probably little more than one
substantial hall with a kitchen and living quarters attached for
the Master and Brethren who 'practised hospitality to all
strangers'. Wounded and destitute soldiers, some staying as
permanent pensioners, as well as pilgrims were
accommodated.
A chapel was added to the hall in 1227 and dedicated during a
service at which Henry III was present. This chapel, converted
into a courtroom in the nineteenth century, still stands. The
Stone Hall with its magnificent pictures, arms and armour,
stained glass and Cinque Ports Volunteer flags, is thought to
be the "Great Chamber" built in 1253.
In 1534, the Master and Brethren of the Hall signed an oath
accepting the supremacy of Henry VIII as Head of the Church
of England, formally ending all religious connections with the
Maison Dieu. In 1544 the building was surrendered to the
Crown and until 1830 was used as a supplies base for the
navy and army.
In 1834 the building was sold to the Corporation of Dover
who, finding their old Guildhall in the Market Square rather
cramped, determined to turn the Maison Dieu into their new
Town Hall. At first the building was only superficially
refurbished for use as a meeting place for the Town Council.
The old chapel became a courtroom with a prison built below,
and to one side, of the Stone Hall. There was a desire to fully
restore the building but little was done until 1851 when it was
agreed to carry out work suggested by Mr Ambrose Poynter,
an eminent Victorian architect.
A further seven years passed whilst attempts were made to
raise funds for the project, until at last a proper programme of
restoration began under the direction of William Burges,
another famous architect of the Victorian era, funded almost
entirely by the Council. Burges admired the style of mediaeval
craftsmen and builders and this can be seen in his work such
as the grotesque animals around doorways, and in the coats of
arms of the Lord Wardens of the Cinque Ports ranged along
each side of the Stone Hall.
Burges designed the Council Chamber at the end of the Stone
Hall added in 1867. The Connaught Hall, adjacent to the Stone
Hall was built between 1881-3 as a meeting and concert hall
for the town. Built on the site of the old prison, the building
also contained meeting rooms and offices for the mayor and
civic officials. All were designed by William Burges but
completed after his death by Pullan and Chapple, his partners.
The Maison Dieu is still one of the main meeting halls in Dover
used for conferences, weddings, banquets, fairs, concerts and
theatrical performances.