Dover: Lock and Key of the Kingdom
The Market Square
The origins of the name are quite obvious but it is unclear
quite when its use as a market place started. The market
probably owed its origins to St Martin’s Fair, an annual event
established about 1160 in the market place. The church of St
Martin-le-Grand stood on the western side of the Market
Square.
On the northern side of the Market Square another church
once stood, on the site now occupied by Lloyds Bank. There
is no drawing or description to indicate what St Peter’s
Church looked like but some stonework, discovered during
the building of Lloyds Bank, suggests that it dated from the
11th Century. It was the official church of the Mayor and
Corporation, and from 1367 until 1581 members of
Parliament and Mayors of Dover were elected there. From its
tower the curfew bell was rung and many of the leading
citizens of Dover were buried in the chancel, the last
recorded being in 1572.
In 1581 St Peter’s had so fallen into disrepair that it could no
longer be used and the Corporation moved to St Mary’s
Church. Not long after this Queen Elizabeth I made a grant of
St Peter’s to the Corporation, to be sold to raise money for
the repair of the harbour. Unfortunately the harbour saw
none of the money as, in 1584, Thomas Allen, the former
Mayor, absconded with the proceeds. After this the church
was demolished and shops and houses built along the
northern side of the Market Square.
In 1605 the Corporation built itself a Guildhall in the Market
Square. This building consisted of a large room on the upper
floor supported on carved wooden pillars. The upper room
was used for council meetings and as a court room and under
it were market stalls. The Guildhall was used by the council
until 1836 when they moved to the Maison Dieu.
After the departure of the Corporation a Town Museum was
started on the upper floor of the Guildhall. The Museum
remained here until 1848 when it moved to new premises
above the Market Hall, which had been built on the site of the
Town Gaol. In 1861 the old Guildhall was demolished.
The Town Gaol stood on the south side of the Market Square
from 1746. In May 1820 the old gaol was destroyed by a mob
intent on liberating some smugglers who were imprisoned
there. It was rebuilt the same year and remained in use until
the new prison was built at the Maison Dieu in 1834.
In the north-eastern corner of the square is the site of the
old established bakers, Igglesden and Graves, whose shop is
mentioned in the novel David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
The premises are now occupied by the ‘Dickens Corner’ tea
room.
Flashman’s furniture store, another long-established Dover
business, faced Igglesden and Graves across the Castle
Street exit. This side of the square suffered considerable
damage during the Second World War and although
Flashman’s building survived, it was demolished the early
1960s.