established a cemetery for the poor with its own small chapel
near to the Maison Dieu. The chapel, dedicated to St
Edmund, was consecrated on 30 March 1253 by Bishop
Richard of Chichester . St Richard had always wanted to
dedicate a chapel to St Edmund, who had been his friend.
The fulfilment of this wish was one of Richard’s last acts as he
died four days later in the Maison Dieu. After his death
Richard’s body was returned to the chapel to be ‘eviscerated’
(have the internal organs removed) in preparation for the
journey to Chichester Cathedral to be buried. The viscera
were buried in the chapel altar and both places later became
places of pilgrimage.
The chapel was dissolved along with the Maison Dieu in 1544.
Its history since then is only sketchily known. Immediately
after the dissolution, it was probably still associated with the
fortunes of the Maison Dieu and became part of a victualling
store for the Navy. After that it became a store-house for the
shops which came to be built in Biggin Street. In the middle
of the nineteenth century it was converted into a two-floor
building, and became a dwelling-house and forge.
In 1943 artillery shells destroyed the two shops hiding the
chapel on the Priory Road side, leaving the chapel itself
untouched. Attempts to get it scheduled as an Ancient
Monument in 1963 failed and it was scheduled for demolition.
In 1965, however, it was privately purchased and restored in
1967/8. At least 75 percent of the building seen today is
original.